"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." - W.B. Yeats

Saturday, December 8, 2012

What an amazing experience...


I can’t begin to explain how grateful I am to have had the opportunity to student teach at Montana City School. I was lucky to have had great teachers that influenced me to become a teacher. I was even luckier to have the opportunity to work with and learn from the teachers that inspired me.  Each member of the staff went out of their way to help me feel included and make this the most beneficial experience possible. I was able to see firsthand what a Blue Ribbon School, like Montana City, is like on a daily basis. This experience exceeded my expectations. I was student teaching with Mrs. Fessenden who teacher 3 periods of science a day. Because of this schedule, I was able to rotate and work with all 3 5th grade teachers for a part of the semester. This gave me the chance to teach different subjects and work with 3 amazing teachers.
Mrs. Fessenden provided me support, encouragement, and guidance throughout the entire semester. I learned so much from her when she was my science teacher 13 years ago, that is nothing compared to what I learned from her while she was my cooperating teacher. I couldn't have asked for a better experience, I am so grateful for Mrs. Fessenden and for everything she has done to help me. I could have never imagined how much I would learn from this experience, I owe a large part of that to Mrs. Fessenden.
Each one of my 60 5th grade students is so unique and special. I may have taught them a lot but it is nothing close to what they taught me. They inspired me every day and made me want to be better.
I am sad that my student teaching experience has ended, but I am excited for what comes next. Starting Monday, I will no longer be a part of Montana City School as a student teacher but as a member of the staff. I am so excited to continue learning from the incredible staff at this school and honored to be a part of it. 
 On my last day, each student presented me a rock. On one side of the rock they wrote "you rock" and on the other they each wrote a message. This is a gift that I will keep forever and remember the amazing 5th graders that I student taught.
The most popular place in Mrs. Fessendens room was a giant bear in the back of the room. Students loved to lay on the bear and read. They got me a bear to take to my future classroom for my future students to enjoy. They each signed the bears shirt and named him "Monte" in honor of The University of Montana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment